The Modular Barrel Garden

 

The idea of a modular unit has been in my thoughts since the beginning. I needed to find something that would grow a large yield on a small number of feet. The issue was that urban gardens often look compelling from a distance, but are “hobby projects” rife with vulnerability to squirrels and other rodent "gatherer" species, and vegetable growers are always at the mercy of so much exposure in city parks. Potential vandalism can occur and there are many further challenges around pests and damage. However, I wondered if a modular unit that was fenced in was a different container all together. I already knew work had been done on container gardens for balcony growers, but at 2 Phin I decided to upcycle and create a model that would move my idea forward. I went to work on a pair of barrel gardens, designed using models I could see online but never afford. Here I begin with a food-graded barrel that I picked up cheap with use of a friend's truck and then cut open to begin its transformation.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Inception of the Project Garden at 2 Phin

The Early Years

The Garden Expands