The Dream of Gardens for Urban Poor

 

The dream that we share is one of urban communities contributing to their own sustainability in a measurable way. Although I did not have the set-up to do a formal study, the potential for gardening was at least flexible at the 2 Phin site, because there were no pre-established garden beds whatsoever. I chose a spot for myself in the very back of the area, where it was the most shaded, with only a partial sunlight compared to other garden plots. 

My first challenge was to grow some produce and in that way it was a success. I sometimes wish I had not chosen this garden spot. My second intention was to convince other potential gardeners that I was not in it to have the best spot and the best sun location but to support gardening as an important action. So I chose a slightly shaded location, even though I would have loved full sun. I was pleased to have a few wins with shade gardening, and then I was surprised at how richly basil, rosemary, thyme, parsley, kale, and even tomatoes thrived in the partial shade setting. I also developed some methods for light reflection, which optimized the sunlight striking the plants even when it was not falling directly on them. Soon, other gardeners did become involved, and it was great to offer them full sun spots for their garden plots. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Inception of the Project Garden at 2 Phin

The Early Years

The Garden Expands